15 replies to this topic

#1 PJ

PJ

Condom Testing Department

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:32 PM

I've just got home tonight, after losing a whopping great £113 in total on a couple of Mazoomas in my local Wetherspoon (god, but they used to be good there back in 2000/1!) - so I am officially declaring my intention to join BarcrestBenito and the one or two other regular members who have resolved to quit playing these flashing squeaking rob-boxes for GODDAM GOOD!!!

BASTARDS THE LOT OF THEM :angry: - they just ain't worth playing any more! I went on Return Of The C(o)unt (sp!), which was backing from the first coin inserted. £70-80 later, filled SM, no repeat, then dead!

So I tried Jumpin' Jack Cash, took me £65 to get Mega Streak, only got bare minimum £25, then also dead!

I could have been reading up more on my A+ PC engineering course tonight, so I've wasted not only a f*** of a lot of money which I can't afford, but about 4½ hours of study time as well, which will no doubt result in my forthcoming career being set back yet another week!

I've decided that this behaviour and lack of discipline is not good for me, so after I told myself off for the umpteenth time, I did a bit of thinking, and I'm hoping for some support and advice on how to best kick this shit habit into outer space - the way machines play these days should be deterrent enough, but after tonight, I realise it's still an uphill task, as is any addiction... :cry:

Needless to say, I won't be going to any of the usual places any more...how's BB and everyone else involved managing with this?...
Winning is not a crime...

NEITHER IS SWEARING!!!

#2 lincs leisure R us

lincs leisure R us

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

MY ADVISE TO U IS DONATE YA CASH TO FRUIT-EMU :D

don't be fooled by a fruity :(

THERE'S ONLY 1 WINNER AND ITS NOT YOU :twisted:

#3 uya

uya

• Regulars
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:30 AM

I, myself, many years ago, with a paycheck went into an arcade for the first time in years, blew the whole lot in my lunch hour almost, (they had autoroute, and i hadn't played it for years), but I also played around (oh and my pay was shit for a computer engineer... Bastards(thats why I gave the job up)) and that is when I gave up the fruities, after a lull in my addiction.
Anyway, you know the percentages, so why bother?
Oh and the A+, don't worry about it, the pass level is so low, a monkey could pass it, I did.
Posted Image

#4 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:47 AM

Lol, I saw BB, and then saw 'Bastards, the lot of them' - I thought you were proposing to become an honourary Fruit Emu Git / Bastard for a minute!

Anyway, as some people know, I'm on f*** all a week, and so can't really afford to play machines. So I repaired Spiker, and started shovelling money back into him. Anyway, about 2 months later, from being totally empty, he has £125 in the hopper, and the following amount on the carpet. Still haven't bothered to count it yet. I've basically taken my paltry £40 a week and thrown it into Spiker, so I'd guess that theres about £250 > £350 there of £1 coins alone.

Far better on my carpet than being in the sh**ty pathetic 'Jackpot Junction' in one of my locals with the sticking buttons!!

Oh, btw, with Spiker, I make my dad hold the keys. When I used to run it by myself, I would save loads, only to think 'God, with THIS much stake, how can I lose on Red X and Jackpoteers?!' [Spaldings only Arcade has only 2 AWPs, both about 3 years old :D]

So, give the keys to a 3rd party. If you can't to that, get drunk, and bury them!

Anyway, Being at college through the week means that I don't really have much free time, and they took the £5 JP machines out of there because the special needs students kept losing their bus money in them :)

[Thats a smiley for taking out the £5 machines, not laughing at students with no bus money!!]

I quit when I realised just how bad the problem was, when I started going to the arcade in town with about £200 in coins, being up [say about £300 at some points], then playing the same machines over and over again [not a good idea], then being £150 down....and then just going for it, trying to get £50 back and normally ending up with absolutely nothing.

Kinda made me disappointed in myself for my lack of control, and I just decided not to play one in public places again, although I confess to emptying a 10p a go Coin Pushing thingy at Bridington, and getting thrown out of the arcade :D

Ok, so, you put £1 coins in, and they fall into a hopper [it gives you 11x10p for a £1] . You then press a button, and the 10p falls down the back of the machine. If it lands in a hole, it spins 3 reels, which give nothing, or Coin Drops of £1, £2 or £5 [from memory]. Anyway, I put 99 Credits in [£9], and pressed the 'Drop 10p' button 99 times in the space of about 20 seconds. I ended up draining both hoppers after spinning in about £39 from the middle reels using those coins, and ended up about £35 up.

Oh, sorry to go off topic for a while, heres my checklist :

1) Get own machine, lose any cash you would normally gamble with in that.
2) When you go to a pub, play pool / darts / cards. I still have the odd quid in SWPs [yeah, like theres any skill on Cash Phrase - or any SWP game for that matter!], normally say £2 in, £1 out. Good for passing the time.
3) Only take out as much as you need. Don't do what I used to do and have £25x2 (£1 coins) [back pockets], £20x2 (£1 coins) [front pockets]
£20x2 (£1 coins) [jacket pockets], and about £50>£100 in notes. Now I just take out say [for a darts night], £15 in notes, enough for some pints for me, and whoever beats me :)
4) Remember to look down on machine players with contempt - this may sound like a bastardy thing to do, but the more you think - 'fools, wasting their money in that bastardised son of bell fruit!!!', the less inclined you will feel to play it [works for me anyway!]
5) I went cold turkey, but then, I know some people will find that hard. If thats the case, it may be worth finding a pub with a low stake / JP machine, and losing change from drinks in that.

BE WARNED - If you put your loose change into a machine and win, your mind will tell you that you are the best gambler in the world and you will inevitably blow all of it in the next pub/arcade you pass, and will be back at square one!!

Hmmm...this is getting to be a very long post, I'll chop it here -

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you can do it [hell, if I can, I think everyone could if they put their minds to it!]

BarcrestBenito

Attached Files

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#5 fruitymad2003

fruitymad2003

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:47 AM

I really wanna fruity in my house as well,

Just seeing that money on the carpet out of your spiker looks cool,

I'm Slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwllllyyyy quitting

Cheers

#6 DildoDez

DildoDez

• Regulars
  • 1104 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:05 AM

I find that having my own machine is a good way of boring me so thati no longer feel the need toplay them for excitement. I find that a good hour/90 mins spent playing club fever and a few hours on the emus every couple of days makes me sick of seeing spinning reels and flashing lights and my fingers stinking of pound coins, that i can't be arsed playing the bastards in pubs n clubs anymore. I just, mentally, can't be arsed!! Buying you're own machine is a good way to curb a habit, even if its just to use as a 'bank', with a float of coins that never gets added to or taken away from - it's just there to 'play' and minimise the need to play in the local.

#7 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

Anyone who wants a Club Monopoly and can collect from Newbury can have mine for nowt. PM me if interested...

#8 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:02 AM

Nothing?!!!

Damn, I wish I lived in Newbury! Thats the Maygay Club Monopoly, with the little super trail at the top left? Is there a problem with it, or you just want rid?

Seriously, that would sell [in GWO] on eBay for somewhere around the £150 mark I'd expect, so I hope you think through very carefully giving it away for free :)

BarcrestBenito
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#9 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:32 AM

It's in good working order, and has all the reelbands etc). Just want rid of it - am getting grief from the missus who wants it gone - NOW!
It is the machine which you describe btw... Version 1.1 of the ROM sadly though...

#10 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:03 PM

Lol

Im not far from newbury but i dont think the Mrs would be too apreciative of it. I'll ask but im pretty sure i already know the answer.
N/A

#11 lincs leisure R us

lincs leisure R us

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:10 PM

thanks for the offer magz but to be honest its abit to far for me to collect so i'll let the chance goto someone else.

thanx anyway

markus :D

#12 PJ

PJ

Condom Testing Department

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:16 PM

...my pay was shit for a computer engineer...

What payscale do you consider 'shit', as my training provider promised me guaranteed employment on around the £18k pa mark to start...

...the A+, don't worry about it, the pass level is so low, a monkey could pass it, I did.

Pass level? Oh, that little address in conventional memory when you've got a gig and a half of RAM installed - a bit like the A-Level rates (sorry BB :D)... Anyway, I'm not interested in just passing, I've had 100% for all but one of the 20 assignments so far - I'm after the world record... :p

...I thought you were proposing to become an honourary Fruit Emu Git / Bastard for a minute...

How do I join? I could 'Git/Bastard' for England... 8)

...'Jackpot Junction'...with the sticking buttons...

That is one SHIT machine - it is a complete and utter suh-LAG!!! And yes, sticky buttons (where drunken idiots have spilled their beer, no doubt...) are a f*****g nightmare!

...give the keys to a 3rd party. If you can't to that, get drunk, and bury them...

ROFL - not on the medication I'm on at the moment...

...Thats a smiley for taking out the £5 machines, not laughing at students with no bus money...

HAHAHAHAHA, look at all those ficky cripples having to walk home!!! There, now I've done it so you don't have to - can I join the Fruit-Emu Git/Bastard club now?... :D :D :D

...£200 in coins, being up...£300...same machines over and over again...£150 down...ending up with absolutely nothing...

I feel your pain, mate - I've been there enough times meself... :cry:

...3) Only take out as much as you need...

And THAT is the key point, boys and girls!

...4) Remember to look down on machine players with contempt - this may sound like a bastardy thing to do...

Not at all, I've done exactly that with myself loads of times after doing me conkers...

...If you put your loose change into a machine and win, your mind will tell you that you are the best gambler in the world...

EXACTLY what happens - a wave of non-drug-induced euphoria and an overwhelming 'I OWN YOU, BIIIAAATCH!' sense of power overrides the internal self-control. All logic, reasoning and self-discipline go out the window, and only climb back in through the jagged hole to shake you awake from your power-drunk stupor and yell into your mind's ear what a total idiotic numpty you've been...

Not you personally of course, but I bet you've done the same thing in your time...oh, well, back to the course I suppose...
Winning is not a crime...

NEITHER IS SWEARING!!!

#13 marcosource

marcosource

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:30 PM

PJ wrote:
a wave of non-drug-induced euphoria and an overwhelming 'I OWN YOU, BIIIAAATCH!' sense of power overrides the internal self-control. All logic, reasoning and self-discipline go out the window, and only climb back in through the jagged hole to shake you awake from your power-drunk stupor and yell into your mind's ear what a total idiotic numpty you've been...

Now that is a brilliant analysis,Mr. Freud.
I always think of that scenario,when I see someone in an arcade,winning the
Jp on a machine and to the sound of the jackpots music turning his
head around ,checking,if the due respect is beein paid by the astonished
punters,wondering,what is going on with this crazy guy in rage.
So what? A jackpot.So what?? How much did you put in in first place,mate?
That small adrenaline kick,is it really worth all that money spent??? 8O 8O 8O

#14 hinchy

hinchy

• Regulars
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

Interesting posts above.
I hadnt played a £25 machine in a while but fancied a pint at dinnertime and decided to try my luck.
First up was Barcrests latest All fired up
It actually gave a good game
I,ve been reading from other pros that theres an anti force code doing the rounds on machines at the moment so i decided to take what it offered
After £15 in it offered me the super streak which paid £7! thats super!
I continued to play like a normal joe and was surprised how well it responded. i took a jackpot out (not from an invincible board) and other bits and bats for a total of £50
As always theres the temptation is to go on the other machine which was Mazoomas Jumpin Jack Cash
Had some terrible experiences on this b4 - it doesnt respond well to forcing. So played to take what offered again
Imagine my surprise when I was left with Red Mega Streak on the features colum - I had an extra life and was on a 3. Waiting for the inevitable higher than a 3 to give a 2 and then to give me a 1 it let me beat the 3 for the red Mega Streak! However it only went for £30 was expecting £50 as thats What Red £25 is.
All in all a good days work

#15 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

IMHO, on All Fired Up, Hellraiser, Hot Stuff, Vamp it up, and I guess the new Supernova [I think thats a clone?], and the new Shark related on by Barcrest,

Normal Streak = £7>£15, normally £7
Mega Streak = £15>£20
Name of the Machine Streak = £25 > £30 [Often gives say a Plum after a JP for £28, that kind of shite!]

Seems that most modern top features only go for £25, whereas on the £15 and below, take Monty Pythons FC as an example, 'Crazy Cash' which was below the JP on the feature stack had given me over £15 on many occasions.

One of the things that shocks me is the drop in feature wins - the bottom 3 features of a £15 JP machine may well have been say £2, £2 and £3 for average wins consecutively. Most modern Impulse type machines have the bottom 2 features rarely giving more than £1 :@

Anyway, thats enough of my ranting :)

BarcrestBenito
Ben

#16 st1ngo

st1ngo

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:28 AM

Hi Magz
I would happily come to newbury to collect your machine if you still want rid !
my email is
petera@dircon.co.uk
Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users