• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 259 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Time for another monthly update :)  I've made some really good progress over the last month or so.  Nearly all of the major components are now completed meaning that the majority of games are now running nicely.

The JIT compiler's completed although it's still a bit slow to initialise and compile the ROM.  This is something I'm hoping to improve on an ongoing basis.  There may well be a few bugs to iron out as well.

The prize/stake/percentage keys are now properly implementated and can be changed when loading the ROM.  With this I've been able to confirm that we have £25 ROM revisions of some of the early machines like Homer's Meltdown, Beer Guide, Wipeout, Geronimo etc which is good news.

The implementation for the newer dot alpha was incorrect and has been re-written.  The /SEL input line to the alpha wasn't correctly handled.  It should now work properly on the newer games that use one (although odd characters may appear occasionally - these are non-standard ascii characters or controls for dimming and flashing that aren't currently handled)

One major issue did surface with the 6 reel driver board a couple of weeks ago.  This has now been fixed so hopefully all the games that use one will now work correctly.

The SEC meter is finished so games that require one should boot and run correctly.  I've only come across 2 Epoch machines so far that need one (Jolly Roger & Dambuster) but I'm sure there'll be a few more.  Many thanks to Fevernova for all his help with this :)

The remaining ommisions/issues in the core are:

The serial ports and BACTA datapak implementation is still incomplete and buggy (causes freezing or boot failures on some machines)

The hopper is still incomplete and errors with a strim alarm when collecting wins of more than £1

The coin mech doesn't work properly with Extreme machines.  It allows one coin to be inserted but then errors/freezes on the next coin.

A few minor issues to be fixed with the reels.

Glitches with the sound (not a show stopper for the time being)

Once these points are resolved then 99% of games should be fully playable without problems.  It may be that we come across games/ROM revisions that require cctalk hoppers or note validators.  This is probably more of a problem for other future techs in the emulator such as Scorion 4/5 rather than Epoch.  I do have a few ideas to circumvent it without comprimising it when the time comes.

As there's still a bit of work to do I'm delaying any more testing for another week or 2.  I'll start asking willing volunteers soon :)

New video coming soon too :)

#2 saynowt

saynowt

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

great news killcrazy looking forward to the video

#3 captainhaddock

captainhaddock

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

many thanks for the update :)

#4 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great news! can't wait for the video, or rather the sound effects of the next machine you're going to video! Was waiting for this update for a long time. are you allowed to tell us which machine you'll be videoing? What do you mean by glitches in the sound? Kind regards, Tom. PS can't wait till first release! Go Killcrazy go!

#5 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 259 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I was going to do another of my faves, Beaver Las Vegas.  I'm more than happy to do a different one though if anyone's got any suggestions :)

There's still a few issues with the sound getting out of sync/overlapping occasionally, or the volume going a bit wild.  It's going to be difficult to get the audio sounding perfect to be honest due to the way Epoch decodes on the fly and has it synchronised to the system clock.

#6 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Oh this is great news, nice to hear this project is still coming along nicely, many thanks for the update :)

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#7 James

James

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Awesome news, thanks a lot :)

#8 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Brilliant news! :) Really looking forward to it, and thanks for the update! :)

Edited by Bencrest, 07 May 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#9 NickYerPesos

NickYerPesos

OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER!!!

• Regulars
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wow.. Wicked news.. Absolutely amazing. Thank you for the update. I'm really lookin forward to the video. If you require volunteers for testing I am more than willing to get stuck in and help.

Thanks matey :)

#10 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi Killcrazy. I would actually like to see any of the Italian jobs if you have got them working and the simpsons. I am also up to volunteering for testing as I am free for a bit from all my cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccollege work for a while. I hope you don't mind this but as Epoch is one of my fav types of machines and we have another project on the go, I have added you as a friend. Once again, many thanks for the update. Do you know what you are going to call this emulator yet?

#11 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

a pleasure to read the update. 

when will you ask one of the graphic artists for some Dx submissions for initial release machines ?

oh, i pick £25 duff beer guide please for the first Dx video release!

#12 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the update :)

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#13 prizeguy2005

prizeguy2005

• Regulars
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

thanks for the update would be nice to see some old maygays like new York running or the first simpsons

#14 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I am excited and have never played an EPOCH machine in my life.  Thanks for the update.

bj

#15 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

thanks for the update would be nice to see some old maygays like new York running or the first simpsons

I think the 'first' Simpsons was probably the BWB end-to-end one which is already emulated (nice 1280DX here : http://www.fruit-emu...1280-dx-layout/) - then we got the blue Simpsons, Homer's Meltdown, Duff Beer Guide e.t.c.

Edited by Bencrest, 07 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#16 NickYerPesos

NickYerPesos

• Regulars
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

a pleasure to read the update. 

when will you ask one of the graphic artists for some Dx submissions for initial release machines ?

oh, i pick £25 duff beer guide please for the first Dx video release!

Already started Lamping "The Italian Job" 

:D

#17 ross

ross

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Already started Lamping "The Italian Job" 

:D

the first one i did when i thought mfme was getting released emulating epoch (it will be 1080p though)

Attached Files

#18 prizeguy2005

prizeguy2005

• Regulars
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think the 'first' Simpsons was probably the BWB end-to-end one which is already emulated (nice 1280DX here : http://www.fruit-emu...1280-dx-layout/) - then we got the blue Simpsons, Homer's Meltdown, Duff Beer Guide e.t.c.

yeah meant the first epoch one would be interesting on emu to see if could repeat on the £5 jackpot would also nice to see if new York new York was really that bad or there was a certain way to play it I missed!

#19 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Absolute amazing that is there again Ross

Also if I can I would like to volunteer to help with any testing and would also like to help with some Dxing if possible at some point :)

the first one i did when i thought mfme was getting released emulating epoch (it will be 1080p though)

#20 NickYerPesos

NickYerPesos

• Regulars
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Goddamit,.. Well thats the last two and a half hours wasted ... hahaha.. 

:/

lol, what size is it.. mine is lappy size lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users