#21 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi there IHartwell,

Good to see you have taken on a challenge on a machine to then be able to almost sort most the issues within no time at all.

Also a big welcome to the land of FME...

Good to have new friendly members here to join the community and FME :)

#22 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Cheers, another brummie i see :D

Figured out how to put it into demo mode by accident, had the door open and pressed start and magically gave me 50 credits. No where near as fun as you can cheat and win the jackpot everytime. Also noticed I couldnt press the Take Cash button on the features, im hoping this is because it is in demo mode and not because the switch doesnt work.

#23 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Looks in pretty good shape, although that battery is concerning me, as I think it's just starting to fluff, however it's pretty easy to remove / replace one of these with any good soldering iron, and just ease it up slightly (Can also just snip it out for now).

It will actualy run without a battery, but may complain for a few seconds when it boots up, reporting a ram clear / battery issue..... only reason for the battery, is for accounting, so as to make sure it's percentages etc are correct.

Looking at that board, I am pretty sure it's a Scorpion 4, so if this is right, got the tech guide for it here.....

http://homepage.ntlw...Tech_Manual.zip

At some point, you could use with a switchable stake / prize key (The dongle that fits along side the Percentage switchable key), but those are cheap enough to source, like from Gold Rush Spares. The reason for this, is so you can set things like Jackpot levels, and price of play options, without needing several dongles.

#24 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the pointers.

I regularly turn it off when not in use so wouldn't that screw up percent and pretty much have no chance of big wins without the battery?

Can you post a pic of a off board battery and where it is stored? I have some Ethernet cable I could rip apart for the inner wires (closest thing to phone wire I have) would this be thick enough?

#25 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

The battery is the big green lozenge thing with Varta stamped on it.

As for turning it on / off all the time, makes no difference to percentage.

Yep, Ethernet wire will do the job well enough if you have some scrap somewhere :)

Edited by stanmarsh14, 10 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#26 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yeah I guessed it was which is y I took pics of it as close I could (phones focus range sucks).

Think I'm gonna let someone else do this mod,

It must make a difference to the long term percent otherwise they wouldn't have a battery in the first place (or am I misunderstanding)

#27 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Ethernet wire is designed for Insulated Displacement Tools, so will not be as easy to solder as the standard phone wire which is single strand, but can also be used as IDC.

Speak to your local friendly Telecom Eng (ie. Buy him a cup of tea), I'm sure he will help you. :)

#28 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Well it looks like the battery is dead anyway, once the machine has been off for more than 30mins it loses the hopper count, will this affect game play and not pay out because it thinks its empty?

Also replaced all the bulbs (found out some which meant to have red bulbs had been replaced with white!) and now CASH FULL is always lit, i would expect CL to be lit... (unless its wired incorrectly but when doing the lamp test it was on the right one)

#29 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Right, as a matter of urgency if you do now have the machine, either use a soldering iron or use a pair of leccy cutters, and get that battery off ASAP, then check to see if there is any spillage on the mainboard from the battery.

Can sort / replace the battery later if needs be, as it's a 5 min job to do, or you can bring over the mainboard to mine, as I have 2 scorp 4 based machines I can test it in.

Edited by stanmarsh14, 12 June 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#30 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Stan, I've looked at the board and it seems quite easy to remove (just need to label the looms so I put the back right!)

I've ordered a battery so will have a crack at replacing it when it comes.

I've had a good look at the front of the board and pretty sure there hasn't been any leakage

#31 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

The looms are pretty easy to deal with, as they contain differing pin amounts, so you just need to match up the correct amount of pins, and also not how long each loom is, as they are generally snug inside the machine.

#32 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

As stanmarsh says, swapping boards is easy. Also the looms will typically 'hang' in the correct place / order once removed, but it doesn't matter as the wrong plug won't fit in to the wrong socket - each plug / socket is different and the plugs only fit in one way. If you really aren't confident, take a photo of the board with everything connected using a camera or phone, and view the picture when reassembling :)

Interesting machine you've got there. Wasn't a fan of them on £25 but I'd imagine they could be quite entertaining on £15. You probably won't mind the £25 setting but I'm not keen on 'rechips', the earlier the software for a machine, the better (unless you operate for profit, in which case the opposite is true!).

If you could get hold of the £15 jackpot decals, they are very easy to change, just be careful (especially on an older machine like this) that you don't pull the large white lamp-holding plastics from the glass when you replace the decals, keep the plastics firmly supported while changing to reduce the chance of damage. It's literally a case of pulling the old ones out (gently as you can!) and sliding the new ones in.

Congrats on where you've gotten so far with it, and if all else fails, I've got an 11lb hammer you can borrow :D

Edited by Bencrest, 12 June 2013 - 11:24 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#33 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

11lb?, did it gain a lb when it smashed up Noel, I'm sure it was 10lb yesterday....

#34 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

11lb?, did it gain a lb when it smashed up Noel, I'm sure it was 10lb yesterday....

It ate a couple of Mc Donalds :p

#35 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

old Battery removed and new one fly-wired.

Still saying Cash Full with £25 in the hopper... anyone know what triggers it?

#36 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Try dumping the hopper and then just put the coins back in, the machine should then know how many coins are in it, DON'T press hopper top up button as this will make machine think the hopper is full.

All £1 coins should then go into the hopper till the hopper is full (125?) and then they should go into bottom cash box.

#37 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

ROM 53 error again :( not had time to look yet though

#38 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

You sure that isn't RAM 53 Error?

If it is then it's your battery, either it isn't soldered properly, or it is soldered properly but when you'd done it, you didn't leave the machine on long enough to charge the battery.

Try leaving it on for a few hours, then turn it off and leave it a while, then turn back on, if error is still there then it's probably your soldering or maybe you used wire that had a break in it.

Last option which I doubt is the new battery is knackered :)

#39 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yeah it was RAM sorry,

Checked the battery and my poor soldering had come loose, had ordered some electrical tape that came today so taped it up and seems to be doing the job!

Just got to empty it again and reset stuff to see if the cash full light goes out

#40 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Cash full still on, emptied the hopper, pressed the button next to cash box to reset, refilled, turned off and on, hopper shows £22 in however light still on :S

Surely the CL light should be on :S

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users