Photo
- - - - -

Penalty charges from banks - get it back!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Not sure if this thread has been released before, but i get charges personally £35 for every bounced cheque, insufficient fund charge etc. from Barclays Bank. The reason you get a charge is because you have no money, therefore to charge you when you have no money, is by definition, kicking a man while he`s down.

However, a recent report shows that banks are NOT allowed to charge these sort of charges, and that they are unlawfull. Banks, under thr code of banking, can only charge a resonable fee, what it costs them for the transaction. Various companies, including American Express, confirmed that charges ranged from 4p, to £12. (4p based on the fact that no human input was required, and a computer decided in a millisecond to charge, 4p a bit much then?)

Penalty Charges UK - Fighting your Corner for FREE will tell you exactly how to claim your money back, its as simple as asking your bank for your last 6 years worth of statements, compiling a list of your charges, present this to the bank, they will of course deny your re-embersement, and then threaten to take them to court. Should you wish to inform your local newspaper, great, it will only strengthen your case.

Penalty Charges UK - Fighting your Corner for FREE

give it a go m8s

#2 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Just to add the bank maybe a bit of a twat and try to charge £10 per statement specify its a data protection disclosure not a duplicate statement and you pay no more than £10 be adamant on that fact. But of course no prince charming ;)

#3 Mess1

Mess1

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

In the process of claiming mow, £3,800 from one bank and £4,700 from another!! Nice little bonus!;)

#4 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

I am about the do HSBC and lloyds happy days.

#5 Mess1

Mess1

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

I am about the do HSBC and lloyds happy days.

Hsbc is my biggie and natwest the other, does it still apply to accounts that are now closed? If so, Lloyds could be next!

#6 mintclub

mintclub

ExAddict

• New Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

where is the template letter that can be sent to banks to claim? have looked cant find it, anyone help

thanks

mint
playing the fruits that others create

#7 Mess1

Mess1

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

If you go to:

Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back

You should find all you need!

#8 schnook

schnook

• New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

already had 608 from halifax and in proccess of doing abbey for 500 when i swapped my mortgage over..if you swapped they charge from 250 to 500 in charges... you can claim them back
the bestr plce is moneysavingexpert.com
martin lewis whodoes all this and more has all templates and forums on this and more...

#9 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

well, ive approached the bank and asked for my 6 years worth of statements.

Could i ask you all to keep the thread up to date with all your progress m8s.

#10 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

Just don't complain when you need to pay for a current account.

#11 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

I don't I pay already they undercut my mobile phone insurance by half so in effect I get it for nowt.

#12 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

Just don't complain when you need to pay for a current account.

Just become muslim then you probably wont have to pay the charges just like they dont pay interest.

Andy

#13 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Alth, the charges with that type of account are obviously going to increase, banks are talking about that kind of money for "basic" current accounts with no extras....

#14 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

You can just feel the scottish oooozing out there can't ya.

#15 cashcards

cashcards

• New Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

think ive been fined near enough a grand,mainly for sky money not being in my account,this is with abbey.
i dont understand why they charge us in the 1st place if you have wages paid in each week
hope everyonegets THEIR cash back.

#16 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

i dont understand why they charge us in the 1st place if you have wages paid in each week

......... because you can't manage your finances correctly and take money from the bank that isn't yours?

#17 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

They should never have to charge for current accounts. The banks make SOOO much profits every year when they publish their accounts, and very little of that is from charges on accounts. Most of their money comes from interest on loans and interest differentials on saved money, as well as other services they provide.

You shouldn't let them rip you off because you are worried about them charging for a current account at some point. All accounts will be pretty much internet based in the future anyway so their admin costs drop massively anyway!!!
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#18 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

......... because you can't manage your finances correctly and take money from the bank that isn't yours?

So a £30 fine is acceptable for going £1.28 overdrawn for a single day?

#19 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

Altharic I agree that the charges are unfair but in most circumstances (I know you've had some shit times, so I'm not referring to you individually) people can avoid going overdrawn with simple budgeting.

jamesb99_1999, charged current accounts are coming and the banks are very open about this.

#20 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

some banks are saying they are coming, what will happen is the customers will move to whoever doesn't charge, just like credit cards, mortgage rates... The building societys will become more popular etc.. until the customers voting with their feet force the ones that have started charging to stop..

It's common sense... and even people who can budget (I am extremely good at budgeting and earn a decent wage) are screwed over by the banks!
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users